A collection of information about the Cannon River Watershed including data, reports, assessments and surveys about water quality, aquatic vegetation, fish, and more. Monitoring is ongoing in the watershed, however, this collection of resources may become out-dated from time to time. For more recent water quality data collected in the Cannon River Watershed or for data from other watersheds in Minnesota, check out the State of Minnesota Key Water Information (KWI) Catalogue , which lists sites to find water quality data at each of the six state agencies that collect and report on water monitoring data.
- Signs of Progress: The State of the Cannon and Straight Rivers (2011) (pdf) – A publication by Cannon River Watershed Partnership that provides an overview of the water, land, and wildlife of the Cannon and Straight Rivers (2011).
- Geomorphology and Watershed Studies of the Cannon River and it’s Tributaries (savina etal) – A summary of studies by Carleton College students, authored by Savina, M., Gardner, T., and Bereket Haileab (2008) “Geomorphology and watershed studies of the Cannon River and its Tributaries: Wolf Creek, Rice Creek, and Heath Creek.”(2008)
- Lower Miss Regional Fecal TMDL Imp Plan – “Lower Mississippi Fecal Coliform Implementation Plan”, by MPCA (2007).
- Lower Miss Regional Fecal TMDL Fact Sheet – Fact Sheet for “Revised Regional TMDL Evaluation of Fecal Coliform Bacteria Impairments in the Lower Mississippi Basin”, MPCA. This region includes the Cannon River (2005).
- Lower Miss Regional Fecal TMDL – Final Report for “Revised Regional TMDL Evaluation of Fecal Coliform Bacteria Impairments in the Lower Mississippi Basin”, by MPCA. This region includes the Cannon River (2005).
- The Cannon River: An overview of the physical characteristics and management of the watershed – A report by St. Olaf College students including history, mussels and fish, dams, recreation, management, and public policies governing the watershed (2004).
- Freshwater Mussels of the Cannon River Drainage_Davis_1987 – Mussels in the Cannon River Watershed by Mike Davis of Minnesota DNR (1987).
- Cannon River Resource Analysis (1979) – Resource analysis of Cannon River to determine qualification as a wild and scenic river. Overview of many facets of the watershed including geology, landform and soils, water quality, vegetation, wildlife, and fish (1979).
Surface Water Assessment Grant Reports – The following reports summarize data collected during a three-year Surface Water Assessment Grant (SWAG). CRWP assisted the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) in assessment of lake and stream water quality in the Cannon River Watershed. For this type of assessment, a thorough suite of measurements were made including chemical and biological parameters which were then used to determine if a water body was meeting its designated use. Those that did not meet their designated uses were listed on the Impaired Waters list for the parameter which needed improvement. Many lakes, streams, and rivers in this watershed were impaired for nutrients (phosphorus and nitrogen), sediment, and bacteria.
SWAG Executive Summary (pdf) – Executive summary of Surface Water Assessment results
Site Reports – A series of 1-2 page overviews of the findings at each site, organized alphabetically.
- Wolf Creek Site Report_S001_397 (pdf)
- Belle Creek Site Report_S002_532 (pdf)
- Cannon Falls Site Report_S003_818 (pdf)
- Cannon River at Red Wing Site Report_S001_766 (pdf)
- Cannon River at Sakatah Site Report_S000_545 (pdf)
- Chub Creek Site Report_S002_533 (pdf)
- Crane Creek Site Report_S003_009 (pdf)
- Heath Creek Site Report_S006_521 (pdf)
- Little CannonR Site report_S004_512 (pdf)
- Prairie Creek Site Report_S001_785 (pdf)
- Straight River at Faribault Site Report_S006_527 (pdf)
- Straight River at Owatonna Site Report_S001_343 (pdf)
- Turtle Creek Site Report_S003_628_ (pdf)
2007 – 2010
Upper Cannon Watershed Assessment Project Diagnostic Report 2010 – Assessment of Upper Cannon River for water quality, flow, and pollutants by Le Sueuer County.
- 2008 North Cannon River Watershed Management Organization WQ Summary (pdf) – Summary of water quality monitoring results from 2008 study by North Cannon River Watershed Management Organization (Dakota County, 2008).
- 2008 Spring Brook Water Quality Assessment Project Report Final (pdf) – Written by CRWP Executive Director, this report assesses water quality in Rice Creek (Spring Brook) from a series of studies conducted in 2008. Includes water level and flow data, chemistry, water temperature, macroinvertebrate, and fish survey data (2008).
Geomorphology and Water Quality of Wolf Creek (pdf) – Studies of geomorphology and water quality in Wolf and Rice Creeks by a team of faculty from multiple colleges (2000).
Water Quality Report – “Assessment of water quality in streams of the Cannon River Basin” – A study of water quality by a team of authors from St. Olaf College, Northfield Middle School, Environmental Protection Agency, and CRWP.
- CannonRiverWatershedTMDLs (pdf) – the EPA’s final review of the CRW TMDLs.
- CANNON RIVER WS PROLOGUE (pdf) – Includes title page, acknowledgements, table of contents, introduction, methods, data analysis, summary, resource needs, and references. (Booklet 1 of 6)
- CANNON RIVER WS HABITAT ASSESSMENT (pdf) – Includes habitat assessment, Qualitative Habitat Evaluation Index (QHEI) data (Booklet 2 of 6)
- CANNON RIVER WS MACROINVERTEBRATE ASSESSMENT (pdf) – Includes benthic macroinvertebrate assessment data (Booklet 3 of 6)
- CANNON RIVER WS CHEMISTRY ASSESSMENT (pdf) – Includes water chemistry assessment data, graphs, and discussion (Booklet 4 of 6)
- CANNON RIVER WS FLOW ASSESSMENT (pdf) – Includes surface water flow data, flow rate graphs, cross sections of streams with flow data (Booklet 5 of 6)
- CANNON RIVER WS APPENDIX (pdf) – Includes maps of streams in SE Minnesota, tables and lists that are referred to in the data summaries (Booklet 6 of 6)
Water Quality Evaluation in Rice County 1986 (pdf) – Evaluation of surface water quality in Rice County between 1972 and 1986 commissioned by the Rice County Board of Commissioners. Includes 11 lakes, the Cannon River, and Straight River.
Freshwater Mussels of the Cannon River Drainage_Davis_1987 – Mussels in the Cannon River Watershed by Mike Davis of Minnesota DNR (1987).
Water Quality Evaluation in Rice County 1972 (pdf) – A study by National Biocentric, Inc. of lakes in Rice County (1972).
MPCA Lake Assessments
- MPCA Assessment Report Chub Lake 2005 (pdf)
- MPCA Lake Assessment Tetonka and Sakatah 2003 (pdf)
- MPCA Status and Trends for Cannon, Wells, Kelly, Dudley, Circle, Cedar, Roberds (pdf)
- MPCA Lake Assessment Lake Frances and Tustin 1998 (pdf)
- MPCA Lake Assessment Roberds 1991(pdf)
- MPCA Lake Assessment German and Jefferson 1990 (pdf)
- MPCA Lake Assessment Volney 1986 (pdf)
Additional Lake Assessments
- Upper Cannon Lakes: Excess Nutrients, TMDL Project (link) – Minnesota Pollution Control Agency web page and resources for a TMDL study of Upper Cannon Lakes (2014).
- Cannon Lakes TMDL Summary (pdf) – A report by Joe Pallardy, Mankato State University, summarizing the results of TMDL studies of lakes in the Cannon River Watershed (2008).
- Upper Cannon Lakes Assessment 2007 (pdf) – Lake monitoring results from 8 lakes by Steve McComas, Blue Water Science. A report prepared for Le Sueur County (2008).
- Impacts of Landuse Patterns on Rice County Lakes (pdf) – A report by Catherine Neu, University of Minnesota, analyzing impacts of land use on the development of lakes in Rice County (2001).
- RoberdsLake_Invasive Species Survey_2010
- Circle Lake Point Interception Survey 2010
- Jefferson-German Chain of Lakes Vegetation Summary and Maps2009_ (pdf) – Survey of vegetation in Jefferson and German Lakes by MN DNR in May 2009.
- 2009 Lake Volney Vegetation Survey Maps and Summary
- EastJefferson_VegetationSurveyMaps (2009)
- 2008 Upper Sakatah Special Assessment Report
- 2008 Cannon Spec Assmt
- 2008 Cedar Standard Lake Assessment
- 2008 German Standard Lake Assessment
- 2008 West Jefferson Standard Lake Assessment
- 2008 East Jefferson Standard Lake Assessment
- 2008 Sabre Standard Lake Survey
- 2008 Upper Sakatah Standard Lake Report
- 2008 Roberds Standard Lake Re-Survey
- 2007 Circle Lake DNR Standard Lake Assessment 2007 (pdf)
- 2007 Cedar Spec Assmt (pdf)
- 2007 Fox Lake DNR Standard Lake Survey Report 2007 (pdf)
- 2007 Upper Sakatah Special Assessment
- 2007 Tetonka Standard Lake Survey
- 2007 Tetonka Spec Assmt Report
- 2007 Lower Sakatah 07 Spec Assmt Report
- 2007 Gorman Spec Assmt
- 2007 Volney Spec Assmt
- 2007 Mazaska Lake DNR Standard Lake Survey Report 2007 (66-039)
- 2007 Shields Re-Survey
- 2007 Frances Standard Lake Re-Survey
Assessments of water quality in rivers and streams within the watershed.
- Cannon River Resource Analysis (1979)
- DNR Cannon River Survey 2004
- 1994 Macroinvertabrate Assessment – UPPER CANNON AT MORRISTOWN1
- Lower Cannon at Randolph QHEI (1995)
- Lower Cannon at Faribault QHEI
- Lower Cannon at Dundas QHEI
- Upper Cannon Watershed Assessment Project Diagnostic Report 2010
- DNR Cannon River Survey 2004
- 1994 Macroinvertabrate Assessment Upper Cannon at Morristown
- Lower Cannon Turbidity TMDL
- Lower Cannon Turbidity TMDL Fact Sheet
- Lower Cannon Turbidity TMDL Imp Plan
- Lower Cannon River Stream Mgmg Plan 2006
- Lower Cannon River Stream Assessment 2008 Final
- Rice Creek Diagnostic Report, July 2013
- Rice Creek Project Implementation Plan, July 2013
- Rice Creek Fact Sheet 4
- Spring Brook Water Quality Assessment Project Report Final 2008
- Belle Creek 1997 (pdf)
- Belle Creek 2009 (pdf)
- Belle Creek Watershed District Plan (pdf)
- BelleCreekWD_Map (pdf)
- Little Cannon River Watershed E.coli Assessment
- Little Cannon E.coli Final Newsletter and Map
- LittleCannon Ecoli Results 2008_2009
- Little Cannon R. Stream Population Assessment 2001
- Little Cannon Harvestable Buffer Program and Ecoli Report
- Little Cannon near sogn QHEI
- Little Cannon at Oxford Mills QHEI
- Little Cannon at Hwy 56 QHEI
- Prairie Creek near Cannon City QHEI
- Prairie Creek at Goodhue Ave QHEI
- Prairie Creek near Randolph QHEI